Deep democracy

I would like to think of myself as a slightly above average type of student. For the most part, I listen keenly in class and I often retain a little more than half of what is taught. I have done well, thus far, in all my exams, and my being a PhD student at a relatively good university in Africa (well, the best according to this year's Webometrics ranking), could imply that I am perhaps bright. You might be thinking by now that I am full of myself. Luckily, I have my professors to remind me of all the things I don't know. Plus, I work in a research group with experts, and it is not uncommon for them to turn to me and ask in bewilderment, 'What did you say you do again?'

In an effort to make up for these shortcomings, I voluntarily (following the firm recommendations of my professors) opt to take extra modules. In one such module, where we were taught about different techniques of facilitating group work, I was impressed by a method known as 'deep democracy'. This method, while acknowledging the views of the majority, attempts to fold in the voice of the minority in the group decision. (This post is becoming tasteless, very fast. Let me try and speed it up).  In short, theory sounds better in class than in the real world.

I was going to bore you further with what I learnt in class but please, let me let you have a good Sunday.



Labels: , , , , ,