Reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

When I started reading Sun Tzu's Art of War, I wondered what relevance it had for my life. I have no intention of enlisting but as I go through the book I realize that I am at war. I am fighting a daily battle to win over my own fears and flaws. These fears are the only thing that hold me back and I miss many opportunities because I am afraid I will fail; I don't try so that I don't have to deal with disappointment. But not trying means I wont win either. My best quote in the book is 'The seeker after glory should be careless of public opinion'. He also says that a general should not be 'sensitive to shame'. Now, If I take Tzu's advice then I should care less about what others think? Or maybe he means that I should not take my emotions so seriously and probably focus more on my goal? I am not sure I interpret the quote well but I like the sound of it and I am still sketching...